Best Time for Birding in Guatemala
Guatemala is a spectacular tourism destination, where birding can be done all year around; but we suggest the following seasons for an even greater experience.
Species abundance : March – April
- High bird activity
- Main breeding season for resident birds
- Molted plumage in Neartic migrants
Resident bird specialties
- April -September
- Breeding and nesting season
- High abundance of flying insects that optimize the chances of watching birds while they are feeding
Neartic Migrant Arrival: September – March
- High neartic bird activity
- Opportunity for seeing East and West Coast Neartic Migrant that stays at Guatemala and the ones that only use the country as a rest stop.
The Guatemala Bird Watching Roundtable was formed in February 2004 by a group of private and public institutions that shared the vision to develop the bird watching tourism segment in Guatemala and to position the country as a world-wide known destination for birding. The Roundtable defined then the National Bird Watching Strategy which is the driving document regarding the development for such activity.